Academy District 20
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at Academy District 20
POSITION SUMMARY: Provides safe, efficient, courteous, customer-centered transportation to and from school and related activities. Drivers may transport general education or special needs students to and from school and related activities.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES/FUNCTIONS: The following statements are illustrative of the essential functions of the job and other key duties that may be required. The description may not include all functions performed by the incumbents in various locations. The district reserves the right to modify or change the duties or the essential functions of this job at any time.
* Reports consistently for work as scheduled
* Performs other duties as assigned
* Attains proficient or higher evaluations on established Performance Standards
* Attends training and in-service meetings
* Completes pre-trip and post-trip inspections as required
* Consults office on route modifications
* Ensures that all safety rules and regulations are followed to the prescribed measures
* Identifies and reports mechanical malfunctions to appropriate personnel
* Keeps current with Colorado Rules and Regulations Governing Operation of School Transportation Vehicles
* Keeps up to date on behavioral management techniques
* Maintains cleanliness and orderly appearance of district buses, including washing vehicles on a regular basis
* Maintains up to date and accurate transportation paperwork
* Maneuvers and secures wheelchairs
* Performs simulated or actual emergency evacuations of all vehicle occupants
* Prepares accurate directions for each route the driver is assigned to and includes specific instructions for
left and right turns as well as a map
* Prepares work orders and reports/solves maintenance and mechanical problems before they become
* Safely secures students in safety vests, car seats, or seat belts
* Successfully completes road skills test, skills course, and written evaluations
* Supervises loading and unloading of buses
* Transports students, on scheduled school days established by the district, to and from the school and related
activities safely and efficiently
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
* Knowledge of district operations, laws, rules, regulations, and procedures
* Knowledge of major roads and location of schools within the district
* Ability to communicate clearly and concisely orally
* Ability to drive and operate a school bus safely
* Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with supervisors, coworkers, and the general
* Ability to provide a warm and caring attitude toward students
* Ability to supervise students on a daily basis
* Ability to understand special student needs
* Ability to work efficiently in high pressure situations
* Ability to work independently without direct supervision
* Ability to work well with students and parents from diverse populations
* High School Diploma or General Education Diploma (GED)
* Must possess, or be willing to obtain and renew/maintain CPR and First Aid certification
* Must qualify for district’s Vehicle Operator License Insurance
* Must possess an acceptable driving record
* Must possess, or be able to obtain and maintain, a Colorado Commercial Driver’s License,
Type BP2-S (School Bus License) upon employment
* Must complete the District 20 Mountain Driving Instruction and Special Education Training
* Must pass DOT physical requirements
* Maintain certification in special needs as necessary if driving special education students
Hours per Day:
Number of Days per Week:
Days of the Week:
Number of Days per Year:
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those a staff member typically encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. They are included for informational purposes and are not all-inclusive.
* The noise level in the work environment may alternate among quiet, moderate, and loud.
* The incumbent is frequently required to interact in person and through communication methods with the
students, public, and/or other staff.
* The incumbent is required to work scheduled school/work hours and/or days.
* The incumbent may be required to work extended school/work hours and/or days as directed.
* Work is generally performed in a passenger vehicle.
* The incumbent may experience exposure to all types of weather conditions, high noise levels, dust, fumes, and
other elements associated with transportation duties.
* The incumbent may experience exposure to stressful or confrontational situations.
* The incumbent will be required to submit to initial and random drug and alcohol screening.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The following are some of the physical demands commonly associated with this position. They are included for informational purposes and are not all-inclusive. All physical demands, if listed, are considered essential functions.
* Sits, stands, walks, stoops, kneels, and crouches/squats while performing duties
* Has oral and auditory capacity enabling interaction interpersonally and/or through communication devices
* Uses eyes, hands, and finger coordination enabling the use of equipment and writing utensils
* Distinguishes depth and objects in a wide field of vision
* Lifts or carries burdens up to 50 lbs., and pushes and/or pulls other burdens weighing 100 lbs.; may have to lift
students when assistance is required
* Subject to hazardous conditions of ice and snow while performing transportation duties
* Spends the majority of time sitting and may stand and walk while performing duties
COGNITIVE FUNCTIONS: The following are some of the cognitive functions commonly associated with this position. They are included for informational purposes and are not all-inclusive. The staff member may be required to analyze, communicate, compare, compile, compute, coordinate, copy, evaluate, instruct, negotiate, synthesize, reason, and use interpersonal skills.
BENEFITS ELIGIBILITY: Academy District 20 provides a medical, dental, vision and life insurance benefits package for our eligible employees and their immediate family members depending on the hours scheduled for this position. Retirement benefits are available for qualified employees through the Public Employees Retirement Association (PERA). Please contact (719) 234-1200 or go to https://asd20.org/departments/businessservices/
benefits/Pages/default.aspx for more information.
Current District 20 Staff:
Current District 20 staff members should complete a transfer request form and return it to the Human Resources Office. The transfer request form and important transfer information can be found on the District 20 Intranet site: Click on 20Net Forms and Documents, scroll down to Human Resources, click on the HR - Other Forms and Miscellaneous folder icon, and click on the document name HIRING - Transfer Request Form.
If you are a new applicant, you must complete a District 20 classified application packet which can downloaded from link below or obtained at:
7408 Duryea Rd. Bldg A.
Colorado Springs, CO 80920
For questions please call: 719-234-1410