Academy District 20
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at Academy District 20
Assists the bus driver in providing the safe, efficient, courteous, customer-centered transportation to and from school and related activities for special needs students.
The following statements are illustrative of the essential functions of the job and other key duties that may be required. The description may not include all functions performed by the incumbents in various locations. The district reserves the right to modify or change the duties or the essential functions of this job at any time.
* Reports consistently for work as scheduled
* Performs other duties as assigned
* Attains proficient or higher evaluations on established Performance Standards
* Assists driver in simulated and actual emergency evacuation of all vehicle occupants
* Assists in the resolution of disciplinary student issues
* Assists the student(s) assigned with physical tasks, such as putting on and taking off of outerwear, putting on
backpacks, buckling seat belts, etc.
* Attends pre-job training, ongoing training, meetings, and conferences as required during the school year in
order to remain up-to-date on job procedures
* Directs action of children and traffic at assigned crosswalks in order to ensure safe crossing
* Enforces all school rules of student behavior
* Maintains student logs of daily problems that occur on the bus
* Maneuvers wheelchairs and secures wheelchairs for transporting student(s)
* Monitors behavior contracts and reward systems for students
* Performs nonviolent crisis intervention techniques when appropriate, after training
* Performs tasks for student(s) such as wiping noses and chins, cleaning/disinfecting of regurgitation, blood,
* Provides initial first aid/emergency care when needed
* Provides personal assistance to students
* Safely secures students in safety vests, car seats, or seat belts
* Serves as a resource to the student personnel evaluation team concening an assigned student
* Supervises loading and unloading of buses
* High School Diploma or General Education Diploma (GED)
* Must possess, or be able to obtain and renew/maintain CPR and First Aid certification
* Obtain and maintain certification for special needs students
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
* Ability to be flexible and patient in work demands
* Ability to maintain confidentiality
* Ability to provide a warm and caring attitude toward students and staff
* Ability to work well with students and parents from diverse populations
Hours per Day:
Number of Days per Week:
Days of the Week:
Number of Days per Year:
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those a staff member typically encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. They are included for informational purposes and are not all-inclusive.
* The noise level in the work environment may alternate among quiet, moderate, and loud.
* The incumbent is frequently required to interact in person and through communication methods with the
students, public, and/or other staff.
* The incumbent may be required to work extended school/work hours and/or days as directed.
* The incumbent may experience exposure to all types of weather conditions, high noise levels, dust, fumes, and
other elements associated with transportation duties.
* The incumbent may experience exposure to stressful or confrontational situations.
* Work is generally performed in a passenger vehicle.
The following are some of the physical demands commonly associated with this position. They are included for informational purposes and are not all-inclusive. All physical demands, if listed, are considered essential functions.
* Sits, stands, walks, stoops, kneels, and crouches/squats while performing duties
* Has oral and auditory capacity enabling interaction interpersonally and/or through communication devices
* Uses eyes, hands, and finger coordination enabling the use of equipment and writing utensils
* Lifts or carries burdens up to 50 lbs., and pushes and/or pulls other burdens weighing 100 lbs.; may have to lift
students when assistance is required
* Subject to hazardous conditions of ice and snow while performing transportation duties
* Spends the majority of time sitting and may stand and walk while performing duties
The following are some of the cognitive functions commonly associated with this position. They are included for informational purposes and are not all-inclusive. The staff member may be required to analyze, communicate, compare, compile, compute, coordinate, copy, evaluate, instruct, negotiate, synthesize, reason, and use interpersonal skills.
Academy District 20 provides a comprehensive and competitive benefits package for our eligible employees depending on the hours scheduled for this position. Through its medical, dental, vision and life insurance, the program offers valuable protection to its employees and their immediate family members. In addition, District 20 supports continued personal improvement for every employee and offers wellness/fitness programs, an employee assistance program, and programs that promote a healthy lifestyle. Retirement benefits are available for qualified employees through the Public Employees Retirement Association (PERA). Please contact (719) 234-1200 or go to .
Current District 20 Staff:
Current District 20 staff members should complete a transfer request form and return it to the Human Resources Office. The transfer request form and important transfer information can be found on the District 20 Intranet site: Click on 20Net Forms and Documents, scroll down to Human Resources, click on the HR - Other Forms and Miscellaneous folder icon, and click on the document name HIRING - Transfer Request Form.
If you are a new applicant, you must complete a District 20 classified application packet which can downloaded from link below or obtained at:
7408 Duryea Rd. Bldg A.
Colorado Springs, CO 80920
For questions please call: 719-234-1410