Cartwright School District #83
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Classified Bus Driver Trainee
at Cartwright School District #83
BUS DRIVER TRAINEE
Incumbents are responsible for learning all necessary content and skills to earn a CDL permit and then a full CDL license with Passenger and School bus endorsements. Prior to hire incumbents must pass a drug screening test conducted by a third party vendor and register for the FMCSA Drug and Alcohol Clearinghouse.
The trainee is a stand alone classification. The Trainee is distinguished from the Bus Driver in that the Trainee is responsible for passing and obtaining their full Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) with Passenger and School Bus endorsements.
- Take a medical physical exam by approved medical personnel as needed for Commercial Driver’s License (CDL)
- Attend and participate in a class of the required 303 topics at a minimum of 93 contact hours
- Take a paper testing of the 303 topics passing at a minimum of 80%
- Report to the Arizona Department of Transportation (ADOT) office for formal testing on the computer for CDL permit
- Take basic driving skills in the range prior to driving on the roads
- Drive with behind the wheel training for a minimum of 30 hours
- Meet certification requirements for Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR), automated external defibrillator machine (AED machine), and first-aid.
- Pass the hands-on CPR, AED, and first-aid experiences
- Pass the physical agility test
- Attend Social Skills and Social Emotional Learning training as required
- Attend Crisis Prevention Intervention training as scheduled (usually on a Saturday)
- Take final road test and pass for full CDL license with passenger and school bus endorsements
- Ensure that all appropriate paperwork is in compliance and submitted to the Trainer for DPS, ADOT, and federal agencies
- Take all required documents to ADOT to get CDL license
- Go on ride-alongs with Trainer and driver with students onboard
- Other duties as assigned
Knowledge (position requirements at entry):
- Reports to the Director of Transportation
- Federal, state, county, and municipal traffic laws
- Safety procedures and guidelines
- Work collaboratively, be an excellent communicator, active participant and team player
Skills (position requirements at entry):
- Study skills to complete the 303 topics that are tested for CDL permit
- Learn the vehicle and vehicle systems of a school bus
- Learn to inspect bus to ascertain problems and maintain it to safety standards
- Use maintenance equipment and tools as well as cleaning supplies safely
- Read maps and driver directions
- Learn and practice skills to monitor and manage students
- Learn how to provide and maintain a safe and nurturing atmosphere on the bus
- Learn to perform emergency evacuations
- Communication and interpersonal skills to interact with coworkers, supervisor, the general public, students, and school staff
- Exchange and convey information and receive direction
Training and Experience (position requirements at entry):
- High School Diploma or General Equivalency Diploma (G.E.D), or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed above.
Licensing Requirements (position requirements at entry):
- Arizona Driver’s License
- Positions in this class typically require: climbing, crouching, reaching, pulling, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing, seeing, and repetitive motions. Must be able to pass the physical agility
- Incumbents may be subjected to vibrations, fumes, odors, extreme temperatures, intense noise, and travel.
Sarah Hernandez, Director of Transportation Services
Job Contact Information
Friday, February 14, 2020 12:00 AM
(Mountain Standard Time)