Cartwright School District #83
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Classified Bus Driver/Trainer
at Cartwright School District #83
This is a 12 mon benefitted position
Director of Transportation
ESSENTIAL DUTIES: (These duties are a representative sample; position assignments may vary.)
Responsible for working with a cohort of up to 5 trainees
Schedules physical exam for trainees by approved medical personnel
Provide classroom instruction on the required 303 topics at a minimum of 93 contact hours
Supervises paper testing to the 303 topics with trainees passing at a minimum of 80% and then refer trainee to ADOT for formal testing on the computer for Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) permit
Provide basic driving skills in the range prior to taking the trainee on the roads
Provide one-on-one behind the wheel training for a minimum of 30 hours
Provide classes for Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR), automated external defibrillator machine (AED machine), and first aid certification for trainees, Include hands-on CPR, AED, and first-aid experiences for trainees
Administer physical agility testing with each trainee
Demonstrates understanding of social skills and social emotional learning and committed to promoting and supporting trainees
Understands Crisis Prevention Intervention and promotes best practices for trainees
Administer final road test for full CDL license with passenger and school bus endorsements
Ensure all appropriate paperwork is in compliance and submitted to DPS, ADOT, and federal agencies
Schedule and send trainees to get CDL license from ADOT
Conduct ride-alongs with newly licensed driver with students onboard
Evaluate and release new driver for subbing/routes as prepared
Other duties as assigned including, but not limited to, substitute driving in emergency situations. Conducting observations of current drivers and continue personalized training as needed.
Knowledge (position requirements at entry):
- Reports to the Director of Transportation
- Certified by DPS and ADOT as a certified trainer
- Federal, state, county, and municipal traffic laws
- Safety regulations, State and Federal Policies
- Safety procedures and guidelines
- Vehicle and vehicle systems such as lights and brakes
- Provide documentation for federal and state reports
- Analyze issues and create action plans
- Behind the wheel and classroom instruction and CDL licensing training
- Certification requirements and school policies
- Work collaboratively, be an excellent communicator and evaluator
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong leadership skills
Skills (position requirements at entry):
- Driving a school bus and using bus equipment such as a wheelchair lifts and tie-downs, two-way radios, etc.
- Air brake tests and practice, pre-trip and post-trip requirements, fuel pump and tire checks
- Inspecting bus to ascertain problems and maintain it to safety standards
- Uses maintenance equipment and tools as well as cleaning supplies safely
- Read maps and driver directions
- Monitoring and managing students
- Providing and maintaining a safe and nurturing atmosphere on the bus
- Performing emergency evacuations
- Communication and interpersonal skills to interact with coworkers, trainees, supervisor, the general public, students, and school staff
- Exchange and convey information and receive direction
- CDL Training delivery of instruction
- The rules, regulations and compliance compo9nents related to MAP-21
- FMCSA Drug and Alcohol Clearinghouse guidelines and rules
- Develop, plan and deliver on-going training to bus drivers
Training and Experience (position requirements at entry):
· High School Diploma or General Equivalency Diploma (G.E.D.), or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed above.
· Certified CDS Driver Trainer defensive driving instructor certificate.
· Additional trainer certification will be a requirement after hire.
· Minimum of 3 years as a bus driver
Licensing Requirements (position requirements at entry):
· Commercial Driver’s License with Passenger and School Bus Endorsement
· Cardiopulmonary Resuscitations (CPR) Certification and Trainer Certification
· First Aid Certification and Trainer Certification
· Positions in this class typically require: climbing, crouching, reaching, pulling, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing, seeing, and repetitive motions. Must be able to pass the physical agility test.
· Incumbents may be subjected to vibrations, fumes, odors, extreme temperatures, intense noise, and travel.
The above job description is intended to represent only the key areas of responsibilities; specific position assignments will vary depending on the business needs of the departments.
Draft prepared by Transportation Department
Revised by HR 1/21/2020
Job Contact Information
Friday, March 20, 2020 12:00 AM
(Mountain Standard Time)