Chicanos Por La Causa, Inc.
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Bus Driver/Facilities Custodian
at Chicanos Por La Causa, Inc.
Work Location: Willcox, AZ
The Bus Driver/Facilities Custodian is responsible for ensuring that facilities, materials, equipment, environment and transportation services are safe and appropriately maintained. Works with Center Service Manager and the Transportation & Facilities Coordinator to ensure the required inspections, maintenance, repairs and transportation services are conducted in compliance with Federal, State, and Local Law and the Head Start Program Performance Standards. Promote school readiness by preparing children and families for school and life success as it relates to this position. Actively supervise children by sight and sound at all times and in all environments. Maintain all health and safety regulations to create an optimum learning environment. Facilitate health practices to keep children safe in the school bus, outdoor and indoor environments.
Initial employment physical, TB test orChest X-ray, Tdap vaccination, valid Arizona Driver’s License and vehicle insurance is required. Commercial Driver’s License, vehicle insurance and School Bus Certification or willing to obtain CDL and School Bus Certification within 60 days of employment. Must obtain a Food Handler Card and be CPR & First Aid Certified within 60 days of employment. Must be 21 years of age. Must provide an MVD 3 year driving record. Must pass a criminal background check to include a Child Abuse and Neglect register check and obtain a valid Identity Verified Print (IVP) fingerprint clearance card.
H.S. /GED required. Knowledge of mechanical operation of a school bus to include daily maintenance checks preferred. Bilingual in EnglishandSpanish preferred.
JOB RESPONSIBILITIES AND COMPETENCIES
- Responsible for the safe transportation of children to and from center, including field trips, and appointments in accordance with standards governing pupil transportation.
- Transport parents and staff to parent center meeting and other activities as assigned by Center Service Manager.
- Maintain a safe and professional workplace environment and work well in groups.
- Work as a team with site staff to ensure the facility, materials, equipment, environment and transportation provided are safe and in good repair for children, including children with disabilities.
- Conduct equipment and materials inventory as may be assigned by the Center Service Manager.
- Ensure proper ratios of staff to children are maintained at all times while transporting children according to rules and regulations. Must coordinate this function with Center Office Manager and Center Service Manager.
- Assure assigned vehicle is in safe operational condition daily prior to transporting children and conduct Regular Safety Monitoring via inspections and use of checklist.
- Conduct minor facility repair as may be assigned by the Center Service Manager.
- Conduct landscaping duties keeping outside Center grounds picked up and free of trash daily, wash windows inside/out as directedand as may be assigned by the Center Service Manager.
- Responsible for the daily maintenance of the center, sanitation of restroom facilities, sweep-mop center, replenish all paper supplies, empty trash throughout center.
- Assist with the maintenance of equipment located inside and/or outside, as well as playground and outside toys.
- Ensure the safe loading and unloading of all ECD children from the school bus.
- Utilize the Active Supervision Six Strategies to Keep Children Safe in the school bus environment, outdoor environments, and indoor environments.
- Complete preventive maintenance of bus by inspecting assigned vehicle daily, to include daily Inspection Report as well as all required paper work and documentation.
- Must be aware of safety at all times and drive defensively.
- Assist in preparation of student list and route for substitute driver.
- Provide orientation and training for Volunteer/Bus-Aides in assigned duties and procedures.
- Learn and become thoroughly familiar with assigned bus route(s) and other routes of the Center.
- Develop good rapport and communication with children, parents and staff and help promote parental understanding and involvement in the program.
- Report all vehicle failures or problems to the Center Service Manager, Center Office Manager, and Transportation & Facilities Coordinator.
- Ensure ECD vehicles are used by ECD staff and CPLC ECD business only.
- Maintain confidentiality in matters regarding children, parents, and staff. Information will be shared only with those authorized within the ECD Program. Any misuse of confidential information will be a basis for official reprimand.
- Maintain a clean and orderly bus (sweeping, cleaning windows, washing exterior of bus as needed).
- Make minor bus repairs (within capability) i.e. change light bulbs, lens covers, properly install child safety restraint systems, etc.
- Participate in any/all center staff training and meetings to integrate cross component information.
- Communicate to Center Service Manager and/or Center Office Manager any facility or equipment concerns related to safety and maintenance.
- Comply with all Head Start Program Performance Standards 45 CFR Chapter XIII RIN 0970-AC63
- Comply with all Arizona Department of Administration Minimum Standards for School Buses and School Bus Drivers.
- Comply with Arizona Department of Health Services Office of Child Care Licensing Arizona Administrative Code Title 9, Chapter 5 Child Care Facilities.
- Demonstrate awareness and sensitivity to cultural issues and community practices of low income and at risk families, including dual language speakers.
- Attend training, Pre-Service, In-service, and conferences as appropriate to the position.
- Perform other duties as requested by immediate supervisor necessary to carry out the administrative/programmatic activities necessary to fulfill the goals and objectives of CPLC ECD.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The employee frequently is required to sit and use hands along with fingers, to handle or feel. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, and stoop, kneel, bending at the waist crouch or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision. Able to travel (in state and out-of-state). Must be willing and able to work outdoors.
Judge accurately the distance between the bus and objects. React quickly to avoid collisions
Work well under pressure. Maintain calm, even temperament when dealing with unruly passengers.
Get along well with people. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts and vehicles.
Employee will be expected to participate in continuous learning, competency building and maintenance of competency skills.
TYPICAL WORKING CONDITIONS
Work is performed in structured environments. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those encountered while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Reports to and is supervised directly by the Center Service Manager. Employee is also accountable for understanding and complying with CPLC policies and procedures.