Steward Health Care System
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Transporter-Patient Transport-40 Hrs/Week-Day Shift-Weekends Required
at Steward Health Care System
St. Elizabeth's Medical
I. Position Function:
The Transporter is an integral part of the patient care team providing prompt, courteous, customer focused service to the patients, visitors and co-workers of St. Elizabeth's Medical Center. The transporter is responsible for patient transport within the hospital and for miscellaneous functions as well. He or she contributes to service excellence by fostering collaboration among and between team members as well as other ancillary departments.
II. Job Relationships:
Reports to the Hospitality Operations Manager under the authority of the Director of Environmental Services and accepts direction from the Charge Nurse, Staff Nurses. and the Hospitality Coordinators and Lead Dispatchers to ensure that operation is running effectively. In the absence of the Hospitality Operations Manageror depending upon the needs of the department/institution, will accept direction from the Environmental Services Senior Operations Manager, Environmental Services Operations Manager, Environmental Services Project Manager, Environmental Services Supervisor, and Environmental Services Assistant Supervisors.
Must be able to collaborate and effectively communicate with nurses, physicians and any other health care professionals.
- Provide safe transport of patients and miscellaneous items within the hospital.
- Authorized to report any and all violations of hospital procedure and policy.
- Authorized to report any safety issues to departments as appropriate.
IV. A. Responsibilities/Essential Functions:
1.) "Provides superior customer service to internal and external clients, customers,
and patients as referenced in the Service Excellence Standards."
- Will prepare daily walk-sheets of all assigned activity.
- Transports patients within the hospital in a safe and appropriate manner.
- Prepares equipment by wiping down stretcher or wheelchair with disinfectant wipe and covering surface of equipment with a sheet.
- Assist Nursing staff with moving patient from bed into wheelchair or stretcher. Practices good body mechanics when transferring and/or lifting patients. Will ensure that patient is provided a sheet for privacy and a blanket for comfort.
- Will obtain and transport paperwork/chart as required with patient.
- Observe proper procedures and techniques during patient transport. Monitors oxygen and intravenous apparatus and report any problems to Nursing personnel.
- May transport and move bodies to the morgue.
- Identifies correct patient for transportation by checking the identification arm band for all patients. Transporter will ask patient for name and date of birth. This information will be checked against the patient identification band prior to movement.
- Adheres to the necessary precautionary methods for patients on precautions and will use personal protective equipment as necessary and defined on precaution cards located outside of patient room.
- Communicates with patients, nursing personnel and other department personnel in the performance of position responsibilities. Notifies appropriate personnel upon arrival /departure of patient and/or miscellaneous items at unit/department.
- Reports any change in patient's condition (difficulty breathing, complaints of discomfort, etc) to nursing staff.
- Transports specimens and miscellaneous items related to patient care to/from unit/department.
- Maintains and cleans equipment (stretchers & wheelchairs) in an orderly condition. Reports defective equipment to the appropriate manager for repair. May be called upon to make minor repairs to equipment.
- Demonstrates knowledge of fire safety, smoking, and infection control policies.
- Exercises good hand-washing techniques and personal hygiene.
- Displays appropriate behavior and professional conduct at all times towards patients, co-workers, medical staff and visitors.
- Maintains patient confidentiality and patient privacy.
- Delivers patients belongings to and from Security from unit/department.
- Keeps hallways clear by storing equipment in the appropriate storage areas.
- Responds to" Codes" and all emergencies within the unit. Responds appropriately during unexpected events.
- Attends and participates in training and educational classes related to Hospital Policies and skills knowledge.
- Adheres to hospital's attendance guidelines.
- May assist in conference room setups.
- While the job description is designed to provide a general overview of position expectations, responsibilities may change based on the needs of the department. Perform other related duties as assigned.
B. Responsibilities/Non-Essential Functions:
- Perform all other related or similar duties as requested or required by manager.
V. Reporting Requirements:
- Staff are required to sign in and out on a daily basis.
- Daily walk-sheets must be completed and handed in at the end of each shift.
- Delays or difficulties in the delivery of service is to be reported to the Hospitality Center immediately.
- Shall be accountable for maintaining the patient confidentiality and safety of all patients while in transport.
- Shall be accountable for abiding by all relevant hospital policies and procedures.
High School Diploma or equivalent strongly preferred
Previous hospital experience preferred.
Ability to communicate verbally and in writing in the English language.
Ability to lift without any limitations.
Training provided in department with experienced transport perceptors.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled